Antique Musical Instruments/Holton 1917, Revelation special edition trombone

First, sorry for my English.. I have an old trombone, a Frank Holton's revelation. I know the year it was made, 1917, but i would like to have more information about it. This silver trombone is beautiful, some flowers and words Holton Special, made by Frank Holton (and something else i'm not able to read..), Chicago, are carved on the bell. I didn't find any other trombone like mine, there is an heavy metal piece on the tuning slide, it makes the trombone well-balanced. So that's it, i would like to have more information about this kind of trombone please. Thanks a lot!

I think the word you can't read is, Co.

Before manufactures started adding counter weights to their instruments as a part of the design, they were offered as after-market items.  I believe in 1917 it would be an aftermarket item.

The Specials were a pretty small bore horn, friction fit with no slide lock.  Holton started out making just trombones, but he expanded into making other instruments.  IN 1917, he starte to transfer his manufacturing from Chicato to Elkhorn, but continued both factories for several years.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.