Antique Musical Instruments/Antique silver bugle

Question
Bugle - makers name
Bugle - makers name  
Kessels & Co bugle
Kessels & Co bugle  
QUESTION: Hi

My father has a solid silver bugle which was made in 1865  - it is hall marked as are the mouth piece and extension and bears the name "Kessels & Co, 44 Rathbone Place, London W".

Is it possible you could tell me anything about this maker as although my father is something of an expert in this field, he has never come across this maker in the UK before.

Thanks

Ian

ANSWER: Well, I don't believe it is that old.  I think it probably dates to around 1907.  The Kessels company started in the Netherlands in 1887.  He ventured into a partnership in London in 1907, but it lasted only briefly.  

QUESTION: Hi again

Thanks for the response - we had the hallmarks verified by the Assay office and they confirmed the year so it looks like it will remain a puzzle.

Thanks anyway

Ian

Answer
I don't know what the Assay office used to establish the date.

But, my records, The New Langwill Index and the Grove Dictionary do not have any reference to any maker by the name of Kessel other than MJH Kessel.

And, I have looked over the bugle histories of Jari Villanueva and Scooter Purtle.  The wrap of the bugle, sometimes called a trench bugle or a bicycle bugle is more consistent with the late 1800s or early 1900s.  

So, I may be wrong, but that is what I based my response upon.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott