Antique Musical Instruments/Euphomium

In cleaning out a garage, my brother-in-law came across a Pan American (Elkhart Ind) Euphonium with a serial number of 212648 stamped on the middle key. Looking at some of your information on previously answered questions, the serial numbers that low had a 'P' in front of them but this one doesn't. Does that make this one any different ? He said it was his mothers obviously years ago.....any other tidbits of information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

That horn would date to around 1950.  Pan American was a part of the Conn company, that produced instruments for the student market.  This horn was made about 5 years before Conn discontinued the Pan American line, and simply incorporated the student horns into the Conn brand.

Sorry about that. . . The P in the serial number was simply a convention they used in the early days of Pan American.  The use of the P was discontinued in the late '20's.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.