Antique Musical Instruments/Antique silver bugle

Ian wrote at 2013-03-18 08:15:47
Hi Kenton

My last email was not a question, I was simply providing details of the Hallmark as received from the London Assay Office and about the pitch of the bugle, both of which seemed to support the date of 1865 when the British military standard changed from 'C' to 'B Flat' as this bugle is in the key of 'C'. As I said I am not an expert nor a musician so thought the additional information might have been helpful. Clearly it looks as though 'Kessels & Co, London W' will remain a puzzle.

Thanks anyway for your time on this.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.