Antique Musical Instruments/Grand Rapids Musical Instrument Company

Question
Could you possibly tell me the age of a small (8 inches long and 4 inches wide at the handle) brass bugle?  It has the name of the company embossed on the top of the instrument.   I could email you a picture if that would help.  If so, please send me your email address.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Answer
There is really no way to establish the age of Grand Rapids instruments, and that is particularly so for bugles, and there is no certainty that they were in the numbering sequence of other brass instruments.  We have been trying to develop serial lists for Grand Rapids for a couple of years, but  though we have collected information on a a number of examples, we have yet been able to establish any documented production dates.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott