Antique Musical Instruments/Grand Rapids Musical Instrument Company

Could you possibly tell me the age of a small (8 inches long and 4 inches wide at the handle) brass bugle?  It has the name of the company embossed on the top of the instrument.   I could email you a picture if that would help.  If so, please send me your email address.

There is really no way to establish the age of Grand Rapids instruments, and that is particularly so for bugles, and there is no certainty that they were in the numbering sequence of other brass instruments.  We have been trying to develop serial lists for Grand Rapids for a couple of years, but  though we have collected information on a a number of examples, we have yet been able to establish any documented production dates.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.