Antique Musical Instruments/picola cornet

Question
I have a piccolo cornet made by J.W. Pepper. Also on instrument is the word Surprise Philadelphia and the # 36792.  It was given to me by my grandfather who bought it in 1905.  Can you tell me anything about it?  Thanks, Maggie

Answer
Maggie,

I'm pretty sure it is not a piccolo cornet.  It is more likely a pocket cornet or an Eb Cornet.  I would like to see a picture of it, then I could better determine what it is.  

I would also like to know how you are able to determine that he bought it in 1905.  That sounds about right, but if you have documentation of his purchase, I'd like to learn about it.

You can send pictures to me at Kenton@horn-u-copia.net.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott