Antique Musical Instruments/picola cornet

I have a piccolo cornet made by J.W. Pepper. Also on instrument is the word Surprise Philadelphia and the # 36792.  It was given to me by my grandfather who bought it in 1905.  Can you tell me anything about it?  Thanks, Maggie

I'm pretty sure it is not a piccolo cornet.  It is more likely a pocket cornet or an Eb Cornet.  I would like to see a picture of it, then I could better determine what it is.  

I would also like to know how you are able to determine that he bought it in 1905.  That sounds about right, but if you have documentation of his purchase, I'd like to learn about it.

You can send pictures to me at  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.