Antique Musical Instruments/Columbia silver Trumpet

Question
By Harry B. Gay co.  #5781 date on parts 9/12/11 1911?
It has a whole lot of tubes bends and mouth pieces including a silver mute. What is the reason for all the extra parts and is there any value? How was it used and by who?

Answer
It is Jay not Gay.  The extra tubing could be a couple of options the instrument was designed for.  One is that at the beginning of the 20th century, there were two pitch standards, high pitch and low pitch.  Makers would sometimes make horns that could play in tune in either a high pitch band or a low pitch band.  The other possibility is that they made instruments that could convert between the keys of A, Bb and C.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott