Antique Musical Instruments/Buescher 5 Valve Double Bell Euphonium

Did Buescher Euphoniums use non-standard size mouthpiece receivers?  
The small shank mouthpieces I use on a Conn and Holton slide in way too far, while my medium shank for old Bessons will not slide in far enough.
The receiver pipe appears to be in decent condition, so I would prefer to not replace it now.  If I have to replace it should I go standard small or standard large?  
I am considering picking up an extra small to medium (euro) adapter and having a good machinist shave it down.
What do you think?

I would suggest either machining down an adapter or a actual mouthpiece with an European shank assuming you want to stay with a modern mouthpiece.   The other option, which may actually the better choice would be to find a mouthpiece from about the same period of time.  Sometimes, mouthpieces of the same period provide better intonation and sound, than do a modern mouthpiece on a vintage horn.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.