Antique Musical Instruments/F.E. Olds Trombone

Question
I have, what seem to be, a 1923 F.E. Olds trombone serial number 4249. The unusual part is tuner "threaded rod and locking wheel".
Have not seen this feature before. Have you? What is it?  

Thanks. Natalie

Answer
If I understand correctly, I believe that you are describing an in-slide tuning mechanism.  The rod and locking wheel were to hold the horn at the desired pitch.  The slide is made up of the typical inner and outer slides.  But in addition, there is a third section of tubing that will shorten and lengthen the outer slide.  Olds used this configuration in its standard model at that time.  They moved the tuning to the bell section in their "self-balancing" model.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott