Antique Musical Instruments/old silver trumpet

Vintage Trumpet
Vintage Trumpet  
I purchased an old trumpet from a yard sale.  It is silver, and on the front by the bell is etched "Sir Walter" in a very nice etched frame.  The number on it reads R14591.  I would appreciate any information that you may have on this trumpet as I am unable to locate this online; such as year made, mfg, and if the "Sir Walter" means anything or maybe perhaps it is just the original owners name.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have an image of a Sir Walter Cornet in our database, but don't know anything about it.  I have to assume that it is a store brand name for a music dealer.  The serial number with the preceding R, was used by Conn, Buescher, and Selmer for some of their products.  So, I would guess it was probably made by one of them, but without further clues, I can't speculate any further.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.