Antique Musical Instruments/Lortay Cornet or Trumpet

Lortay Trumpet
Lortay Trumpet  

Lortay Bell
Lortay Bell  
I have a cornet or trumpet (probably a trumpet) with the mark of LORTAY on the bell. It came with a Higham Model mouthpiece that appears to be original to the horn. It appears to be quite old. I cannot find any reference to Lortay musical instruments online. It might be a horn from Higham out of Manchester England. if so then their USA agent was Lyon & Healy Central Agents Chicago.

It  appears to be a early 20th Century cornet.  I'm not familiar with the brand, but I would expect that it is probably a stencil and not a manufacturer but rather a dealer.  I've not seen any Highams in that configuration but it is certainly possibly that they did make some.  But, it is probably much more likely that a previous owner simply swapped out mouthpieces.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.