Antique Musical Instruments/Hess Baritone?

My son was given a vintage horn from storage at our local theater, not sure what it even is. the bell is stamped Hess and possibly Klingenthal 5a, not sure of spelling, there is stamping above that but even fainter. I have a lot if images of it, will attach one of the whole horn, it is missing a removable bent tubing. I am trying to identify type of instrument and possible year. this is not in great shape, but not smashed either. thanks for any info. My son plays baritone in high school band and is very curious about this.

Ernst Hess was a musica dealer in Klingenthal, Germany between 1872-1938.  He sold horns of this general configuration as Tenorhorners or Baritons.  This curved shape is just a convention in styling. It has been popular in Europe, but never really caught on in the US.   You can get into an extended debate over the distinctions between tenor horns, baritones, and euphoniums; but basically, this is a baritone.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.