Antique Musical Instruments/jw peppers bugle

My grandfather was a bugler in World war 1 and i have his bugle
i was trying to find out what year it was made.i also have the military carrying case.

jw peppers no. 4709

thank you for your help

don hinrichs

Military Bugles are really signal instruments, not musical instruments so I don't actively track information on them. And, though Pepper produced instruments for both musical and signal use, it isn't certain whether they may have used the same serial sequence.  AND, Pepper's serial number list is still a work in progress - trying to determine how the serial and the calendar may match.  So, with all that said, it would appear that this serial number on the instrument sequence would come in around the mid 1880s.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.