Antique Musical Instruments/what is this?

I received this from my grandmother and I have no idea what it is...can you help?

Pictures can sometimes be deceiving, but this appears to me to be a Couturier conical bore Alto horn.  They are a relatively uncommon horn in that the maker was trying to maximize the amount of conical tubing contained within the horn.  The idea was to get the more mellow tone produced by conical tubing.  On the other side, the alto horn is pretty much retired as far as a horn played in modern bands, so it has fewer people interested in them as compared with other instruments.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.