Antique Musical Instruments/Info on a trombone

I have a silver trombone.  The engraving on the bell says American Standard High Grade made by Clev.Mus.Ins.Co. Clev.d-O.
The only number on it is a 78 on one brace flange and on the tube leading to where the slide section goes into the bell section.

Can you Give me some idea of when it was made and of the approx. quality of instrument ( student, Pro.,etc.)at the time of manufacture?  Also any history?

Thank you so much.

American Standard was a student line for the HN White Company.  Their pro line was King.  I would suspect that there is a serial on in some place - probably on the bell section.  The 78 is likely a portion of the serial number.  I suppose it is possible that the serial might have been one a damaged section that has since been replaced.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.