Antique Musical Instruments/Ludwig & Ludwig single piston soprano bugle

I've recently come into possession of an old chrome Ludwig & Ludwig single piston soprano bugle. The serial number is 174574. I'd like to know how I would go about getting an age on it. It's total length is about 20" and the bell is 5.5". I believe the finish is chrome as it isn't tarnished like silver would be. According to my research it may have been made by Holton for Ludwig; if this is the case would Holton serial numbers apply? Below is a link to my Flickr account album for the bugle.

Thank you,

Anna, I primarily deal with brass musical instruments, and bugles are sort of musical instruments and partly signal instrument.  The valved versions were more on the musical end of the bugle scale than the standard bugle, but have since been supplanted by 2 and 3 piston versions.  

Generally, makers did not used the same serial sequence for bugles than did for their musical line.  And, even there they often had separate sequences for different types of instruments and student lines.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.