Antique Musical Instruments/Piccolo question

Yes I recently read about the antique piccolo and your answer about it and have a question myself I have a piccolo exactly like the modern piccolo the only thing that is different is the key that your left pinky uses is attached to the ring finger key and it does not have the open on the bottom side of the piccolo like most piccolos do. It has all the other keys and when I play it like I play my flute the keys do not match my band director currently has it he is trying to find out about It as well because he said it is probably in a different key with different key fingerings. I'm just asking if you might have any information on what kind of piccolo I have its says its a Haynes piccolo

Again, I need to say that woodwinds are not my area.  But, I suspect that you may have a military Piccolo pitched in Db rather than in C.  100 years ago, the Db piccolo was the most popular variety, but by the 1940s, there pretty much phased out in favor of the C piccolo.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.