Antique Musical Instruments/J. Higham Ltd

Question
I have come across my fathers old cornet by the above manufacturer. It is stamped Class A and with a number 51172 on the horn. My father served with the Royal Marines Band Corps and was the band master during the second world war. Can you shed any more light on the instrument please?

Answer
Joseph Higham established his business in 1842.  He was succeeded by his son-in-law Peter Robinson in 1883, who sold out in 1911. In 1923 Mayers and Harrison became the proprietors.

I would estimate your around 1894.

I suspect that this was not your father's main instrument. It would seem to be too old.  I'm guessing that it is probably older than he was.  Maybe he saw it as an antique, or maybe it was the horn that he started on.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott