Antique Musical Instruments/Cavalier Trumpet serial # date

Trying to figure out the possible date on a Cavalier trumpet I have with serial # 03698    The engraving of a man on a horse above Cavalier and Elkhart, Ind. also on the bell

Cavalier was a sub brand of Pan American which was a student line for Conn.  That doesn't mean that it is a lessor instrument, just that they had different marketing ideas for the brand.  

Cavalier used a different serial number sequence than other Conn products, and we are still trying to work that out.  Cavalier line was started in 1931.   They had 3 models of trumpets, the 92B, 94B and 96B.  Additionally, they had the 90A cornet that is often mistaken for a trumpet.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.