Antique Musical Instruments/Holton Cornet Serial #19374

I have an original Holton Cornet that was purchased in Elkhorn Wisconsin as new around the 1930s.  It is in mint condition.  The bell is engraved and the number on the bell is 37; However the number on the valve is #19374.  I have the original wooden case with original logo.  Passed down by Father born in 1924.  It contains the paper mute, music stand insert, with original mouth piece.  What is its approximate value?  Trying to decide if this would be good to pass thru the next generation to my son.  The sound is sweet, but he is only 12. Insights on value and the ability of a child to appreciate the instrument.  Most directors have a hard time appreciating the versatility of the instrument because it lacks the sharp tones of a trumpet.

It sounds like you have this pretty much figured out already.  School directors tend to expect to see trumpets not cornets.  Some students appreciate vintage instruments, but most are impressed with shiny new instruments that look much like the instruments of their peers.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.