Antique Musical Instruments/old trombone

Hallo, resently I bought in Stockholm a trombone looking very german,but engraved on the bell 'Lyon and Healy makers Chicago,in gold,engraved far out on the slide,dual bore,very playable,not original box. So my question is : is it made in Chicago or imported with the firm's name. I can send a picture if you think it's intresting, Best egards from Gothenburg Jan Lindahl

Most of the Lyon and Healy product line was imported.  However, they did make a limited amount of product for which they were justifiably proud.  They used model names like Own Make, Improved Own Make, Am'n Make, and Couturier.

If you horn had one of these model names, I'd be certain that it was made by them. Most of the import models they simply had Lyon and Healy on them.  Since yours says maker, that would seem to indicate they produced it.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.