Antique Musical Instruments/piccolo information

I have tried to search the internet for information about a piccolo my father gave me 40 years ago from when he owned and operated a music store in Culver City.  The piccolo is marked Horst Moenig Baxter Northrup and has a serial number 4745, Mod. SM. D.
The only info I was able to find is that Horst Moenig and Baxter Northrup were in business together until 1950, which tells me the piccolo is at least 66 years old. I would like to know when it was manufactured and any other information you might have or find for this model and serial number.

Welcome to! Thank you for choosing us as your 'expert'! Baxter Northrup was an importer that stamped their name on many different brands of various instruments. The 'D' most likely indicates that the key the piccolo is in would be Db (D-flat). If you measure the piccolo assembled, from end to end, it should measure approximately 11.5-12.25in in length if it is in the key of Db. Can you send some photos of it so we can get some key points to indicate a closer estimated date of manufacture and get you information on the specs., etc? Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing back from you! Modernflute -

Antique Musical Instruments

We specialize in antique flutes & piccolos, antique clarinets, as well as simple system and more modern woodwind instruments. Feel free to ask and if we cannot assist you we have several knowledgeable buddies that we can consult with to point you to the right direction. We can provide estimates on value, repair services, repair quotes for restoration(s), as well as offering consignment services to those in need. *Depending on the amount of time needed to determine an accurate real-time value of your musical instrument, we may encourage a small donation (generally about $5) for our time to do research for you. Donations will be distributed to our team member who contributed the information that was beneficial to you directly.

We have been researching antique woodwind musical instruments for around 14 years now and specialize in woodwind instruments (primarily flutes and clarinets). We enjoy helping folks find out if their instruments are worthy of restoration and becoming playable or if they, perhaps, are best left as-is. We have sold many woodwind musical instruments to customers around the world, donate a select few yearly to those in need who otherwise would go without, and have completed professional repair jobs for customers around the world who were unsure of where to ship their beloved instrument(s) to be fixed.

We have a small team of professional band repair technicians who take care in providing easy to understand information about musical instruments, their history, repair aspects, as well as consignment services to make life easier for everyone seeking information, etc. on their beloved heirlooms or even newly found instruments.

We have sold musical instruments, as well as provided beneficial information, to individuals from Kazakhstan to Alaska, Spain, the Virgin Islands, Greenland, Iceland, and many other countries from large to small!