Antique Musical Instruments/what kind of horn

Hi. I just got this horn because it seems different.  Could you just tell me exactly what it is?  Thanks.   :)

It is tough to tell from a picture.  It is either an alto horn or a tenor horn.  They look basically the same, but the alto is smaller and plays in Eb, while the tenor plays in Bb.  

If you measure the tubing from the mouthpipe to the the bell(ignoring the valve tubings), if it around 78 inches, then it is an alto, if it is around 106 inches, it is a tenor.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.