Antique Musical Instruments/Rene Duval French Horn

Hi, I have a Rene Duval double French Horn in brass, not polished, very good shape, with mechanical valves. I have had it for many years and believe it is approximately 60 70 years old. I am not trying to sell it, just wondering what the quality and rareity of this instrument is? Thanks, Steve Braidman

From what I have seen from Duval, it appears to be a tradename for some dealer.  At least some of the product line was made in Italy.    Other sources say Duval was in business in Paris in the 2nd quarter of the 20th Century.

The brand is obscure, but probably not high quality.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.