Antique Musical Instruments/Old trumpet

Question
QUESTION: I have a Rene Duval-Paris trumpet from my high school days in the
late 1940's . It's finish has suffered badly with neglect over the years.
What is the best method to pursue with polishing this now so that no
further damage is done?

ANSWER: You didn't say whether the instrument was brass, lacaquered brass or silverplate.  That would make a difference in how to approach making it look better.

QUESTION: I am sorry not to have included that info. It is brass and it was polished
well during those high school days.All valves, slides and mechanical parts
are working well.
Bill

Answer
If it has been polished before, and it looked good then, I am going to assume that it is raw brass - i.e. never lacquered.  The difficulty with polishing an instrument is getting into all the close quarters.  Ragging tape, strips of cloth, or even a wick can be used to rub on the hard to get to places.  Brasso works ok, but Flitz or Blue Magic seem to work well for me.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott