Antique Musical Instruments/antique trombone

Question
I have a Rudall Carte & CoLtd "Starline" trombone with LP 254657 imprinted just under the first flange brace. Is that the serial number and does it indicate when it was produced and reveal any other historical information?

Answer
Good questions.  The company was independent until 1944 when they were bought out by Boosey and Hawkes.  Their instruments used separate serial systems for each type of instrument, so not meaningful in trying to establish a chronological sequence.  Usually, you see LP on instruments (Low Pitch) from earlier in the century, but Boosey and Hawkes were producing High Pitch instrument into the mid 20th Century.  And, in 1955 they started using the B&H serial numbers on these instruments.  So, if it is one of those serialzed with the B&H sequence, then it should date to 1957.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott