Antique Pianos/Value of Straube petite grand piano

Linda S. wrote at 2013-01-07 14:55:08
I know this question is over two years old, but I just had to put in my 'two cents' - which in this case is really more like at least a hundred thousand of them (cents, that is). I own a 1926 Straube 4.5' baby grand, and wouldn't trade it for a Steinway of the same size! Straubes are unique instruments - because of the double overstrung harp, that 4.5 foot instrument sounds more like a 6 or 7 foot one. The sound that this little old piano produces is nothing short of amazing - and there's not a single section (bass, middle, treble) that's weak. For Lindeblad to give the questioner's instrument a "$300" value without even seeing the piano is simply ridiculous - especially when their own website, touting their 'restoration services', recommends restoring these "wonderful old instruments"!! I was actually thinking of sending our piano to them for some work on the pinblock and finsh before reading this answer - Now? Not so much!  

Antique Pianos

Todd Lindeblad

What is the value of vintage piano. How to find out the year a piano was built. How to locate the serial number on a piano. Is a vintage piano worth restoring. What work is needed to be done to fix a piano. Additional information, diagrams, and restoration tours on pianos can be found at:

Piano Restoration Specialist. My family has been in the piano restoration business since 1920. I am now the fourth generation and have worked in the piano business my whole life. You can read about our family history at the following link:

Learned from my father since I was a teenager. I have now been working in the piano restoration business specializing in the sale and restoration of vintage pianos for about 15 years.

Stanford University, City of Sacramento, Roanoke Civic Center, Piano Teachers, Musicians