Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/Antique Rug Identification

Hi Can You Tell Me what kind of rug this is?

Is this rug an antique, It seem very old.

Does this rug have any value?

The front of the rug is identical to the back and can be used on either side.

Thank You Very Much for your expertise!
Bill R.

Hi Bill,

I hope you are doing well. The rug in the image is a Turkish Kilim (flat woven as opposed to hand knotted). It is a bit difficult to tell the age from the image but it is most likely vintage as opposed to antique. To be antique a rug needs to be 80 years old or older (while art and furniture need to be 100). When we use the term "vintage rugs" we basically are talking about items from the mid 20th century.

Unfortunately, for the most part, Kilim rugs that are of this vintage (looks like perhaps it was made within the last 40 years) do not have a significant resale market.

If you would like to learn a little bit more about Kilim rugs:

If you want to learn more about vintage rugs:

I am available if you have any further questions or need more information.

All the best,

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.