Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/value a rug?

Our inherited 50 year old 12x8 foot oriental rug was damaged and subsequently destroyed before being valued. Our Loss Adjusters have set me a near impossible task to try to value the rug.  I have attached some photos taken when the rug was damaged.  Are you at all able to give me some idea of cost to replace this rug please.
Kind regards.
Jackie Garlick

Hi Jackie,

So sorry you have to deal with this type of issue! The problem with these rugs is that they are not old enough for most dealer to carry. Most of these types of pieces, which feature these patterns, are a bit older and not many come in the ivory background.

I dont know what your adjuster said, but it does not mean much anyway. Let me say that based on only the images you provided, I would estimate the rug is worth around the $2,000 - $2,500 but again, that vintage of rug is not easy to find. You would have more luck finding something older and that might cost a bit more - I would estimate $4,000 - $6,500.

You might be able to find a good deal on ebay for much less. And if you are looking for comparable pieces you can google "art deco chinese rugs" or "nichols chinese rugs".

The closest example I can show you is: which is priced around the $5,000 but is a "better" example.

If you would like to learn more about these types of rugs you can look up:

Hope I was able to help.

Good luck!

Omri Schwartz
Gallery Manager
31 East 32nd Street
New York, NY  10016
T  212 545 8029
F  212 213 5995

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.