Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/glass over frame tapestry

My mother and father received two machine made tapestries as a wedding present - about 75 years ago.  We believe these are Italian. We have mounted one in a frame covered with glass.  Our question regards the glass; should we cover the tapestry with glass or without?   How can we identify them - one shows Roman women reclining and read a letter and the other is couples doing the minuet.  Thank you in advance.

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your question :)

The Glass / No Glass Question - That is a personal preference. From a conservation point of view, it wont make much of a difference. Most of the machine made Tapestries do not have a significant resale value so you should not be thinking "investment" but rather enjoyment.

As of identification, most of the machine made tapestries were made in England and Italy. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell which was made where but you can submit a couple of pictures if you want to give it a try.

For more info about Antique Tapestries:

Hope I was helpful,

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.