Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/Antique rug

Close up 1
Close up 1  

I recently picked up this rug and would like to learn more about it.

Dimensions are 19ft 9in long and 40in wide.

It has some wear in the surface at the sides of both ends and one edge (I have a close up of that edge, but can only attach two pictures, so I can forward separately if you like).

I'd like to know its origin, how it was made, how old it is (roughly), and whether it has any value.

Thanks in advance!

PS I have a picture of the back and another close up of the dark field if that would be helpful.

ANSWER: Hi Robert,

Hope you are doing well :) Finally I see a pretty piece and it has age too! What you have is an antique Serab Persian runner from around 1910. I see it has some chemical dyes (the pinky color in the detailed and probably others too). That said, it is a good size and looks to be in fair condition (there is some wear but no major holes that I can see). Many of these runners were sized down over the years so you would need to flip it to the back to see if there are any cuts that were sewn up / attached. By the looks of it, it was most likely woven using camel hair rather than wool.

Here are some examples and additional information about this specific type of rug:

Also, here is a price guide that you might like to read:

As for the value, if you read the above price guide, it talks about the different pricing brackets - retail value, auction value, insurance / replacement value and so forth. It is important that you understand the difference so please read the article and let me know what type of value you want.

Also, it is important to note that estimates should be taken with a grain of salt since I have not seen the rug in person and there might be "issues" that I would not be able to see in the images.

Just wondering... how much did you pick it up for?

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Omri Schwartz
Gallery Manager
31 East 32nd Street
New York, NY  10016
T  212 545 8029
F  212 213 5995

thanks for the detailed message, which I appreciate. I thought the rug had some age on it, but I could not hazard a guess as to how old it is. It is nice to know that I have a 100 year old Serab Persian!

I do not believe the rug has been cut--or if it has, it has not been spliced back together. For the moment, let's assume it has not been cut.

At the border at each end--say 2 or three inches in from the edge--the rug has some obvious wear, but no holes (except for the damage that you can see in the picture I've attached).

As to value, I'm simply looking for a ballpark fair market value. And in response to your question, I've got less than $1,000 invested in the rug.

Thanks in advance for taking the time--and if what I'm asking you to provide is too much, please just let me know. I'll understand that you can only do so much on this service.

Again, thanks much...

You did very well :)

Just to reiterate - my estimate is based on the images provided so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

I would say the runner is worth between $1,500 - $2,500.

So if you continue like this you will be doing pretty well for yourself :)

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.