Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/Rug - from Turkey 1900's?

Rug Turkish?
Rug Turkish?  

Rug Close Up
Rug Close Up  
Hello, Omri,

My sister has a rug that has been hanging on her wall for many years.  Her husband was Polish and traveled throughout Europe before coming to the United States.  She believes he said it was from Turkey maybe the early 1900's.  Can you tell where this rug orginated from, the time frame, and the estimated value?  Thank you very much for your time.

Tina and Marie

Hi Tina,

Thank you so much for reaching out. Before I give you my thoughts I had a couple of questions:

1 - From the pictures, it looks like these are two different rugs. Is that the case?
2 - What are the sizes?
3 - Would you be able to provide some additional images of each? I would need also an image of the weave.
4 - The one with all the boxes looks like it is warn at the top - is that truly the case?

Once I get the information, I should be able to give you a more accurate assessment.

In the meantime, here is some information about Turkish rugs:

And I since the one with the open field is a prayer carpet, I thought you would find this interesting:

Look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Omri Schwartz

Gallery Manager
31 East 32nd Street
New York, NY  10016
T  212 545 8029
F  212 213 5995  

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.