Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/is my antique rug worth saving/cleaning

Question
full rug
full rug  

corner of rug
corner of rug  
Hi, A few years ago I purchased an antique runner from an estate sale because I loved the colors. Once I got it home I saw it was in much more 'worn' shape than I had thought and I put it away in storage. I recently took it out and it's so filthy that it will need to be sent out to be professionally cleaned which will be a few hundred dollars. I wondered if you thought it was worth it or if I should try to sell it on? It's approx 3' wide x 10' long. It is very irregular / stretched perhaps but the colors in most areas are still very vibrant. Could you tell me what you think it is and possible age? I can send you more photos if needed. It will only allow me to attach 2 here. Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi Stef,

Well that is the nature of the tribal rugs - they, more than any other type, tend to be more warped. But it is an old piece and based on the images here are my thoughts (please take this with a grain of salt as I have not seen it in person)...

The rug is either a Hammedan or Malayer (Persian) and dates to around 1910. To clean such a rug would cost around $120 and it is worth about $400 - $500. If you cant use it then I would suggest selling it. You could give it to a small auction house in your area or just send images to a couple of dealers to see if they might be interested in buying it.

Hope I was able to help :)

All the best,

Omri
http://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz