Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration/Rug expert advice

I will appreciate if you can use your expertise to help us in determining what kind of rug we have, we think that it's made of silk, it's about 200cm x 100cm (please see photos attached).

We think it's very old, but not how old?, and what is it worth?

I will appreciate your advice in this matter.

Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Hi Ariel,

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was away in Israel and got back just a few hours ago.

I took a look at the images. I cant tell with 100% certainty (because the images are kind of small and a bit blurry) but based on the images I have a strong feeling that this rug is not that old and may even be a machine made rug. The design looks to be a tree of life (similar to Persian Isfahan carpets).

I will include some additional links below if you would like to learn more.

You can also email me more images directly at: omri @ nazmiyal . com

Hope I was somewhat helpful and please feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or information.

All the best,

Omri Schwartz

Gallery Manager

31 East 32nd Street

New York, NY  10016

T  212 545 8029

F  212 213 5995

thank you for your answer.
How old can this rug be? And can you asstimate the value of this rug?

If it is what it looks to be then it has pretty much no resale value. These types of carpets were commercially made and sold (even in department stores like Macy's).

again, this is based on the images you provided.

I am sorry I dont have better news for you.

Antique Rugs, Carpets & Restoration

Omri Schwartz

I have not yet come across any antique rug related questions that if I did not know I could not find the right answer for. I have been interviewed by numerous antique rug websites, blogs, and magazines and am consistently referred to as a source for information on antique rugs, carpets, and textiles.

I have been in the antique rug trade for over 13 years and deal regularly with the most well respected auction houses in the world (Sotheby's, Christies, Butterfield's & Bonham's, etc.) as well as interior designers and decorators, retail customers, and other dealers. I also purchase fine antique pieces and have traveled the world in search of the best of the best.

Antique Oriental Rugs by Nazmiyal

I have sold fine antique rugs for over 13 years and continue to deal with them on a daily basis. Since this is my career, I make it my prerogative to know everything there is about what I do and the pieces I deal with.