Antique Safes/Antique Safe

Mark wrote at 2011-06-22 17:31:35
Andy, The name Carron is cast into the door.  It came over in a container of antiques from an estate in England in 1981.  I took it to "The Antiques Roadshow" in 2006 and the appraiser said, "it's definately Victorian & probably from the early 1800's."  I saw an identical match to mine in the Continental Government House in Annapolis, MD in George Washington's office as our 1st president.  The curator said that it came over from England, but she knew nothing further about it.  That's all I have to go on, but I'll send photos. Thanks, Mark

Anthony wrote at 2014-02-16 16:47:38
Hi, Carron did make Safes amongst other things including post boxes and even cannons in the early to mid 19c, I have a Carron safe myself bought as an Antique Restorer so can tell you the casting ID will be found behind the door.. remove the back plate via 4 huge screws to reveal a simple lock and gate mechanism.. Carron, Falkirk should be cast on the door.. Most foundries of the industrial period were required to insert ID markings for reference or patented....

Anthony Martin

Antique Restorer/Traditional Cabinet Maker

Shottle

Derbyshire

England  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)