Antique Safes/C H Crane safe Wolverhampton

Question
Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
Hi there
I have just bought a house at auction, which was completely gutted bar a red and white painted safe in the lounge area! I want to get rid of it but not sure if it's worth selling or weighing in. Photos attached and dimensions are 760mm wide x 760mm high x 530mm . It has a key and locks. Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks Ellie

Answer
Hi Ellie,

Thanks for the question and the pictures.

This safe dates back to 1890 and is totally obsolete, so it has no value as a working safe and dealers in the UK tend to scrap them.  

These late Victorian safes can fetch 150+ on eBay if they  have been tastefully restored but sadly, yours has been so hideously repainted that it is unlikely to get any bids in this condition.

There are collectors of safe plates and C H Crane was uncommon, so if the paint was removed and the brass polished up nicely, it could attract bids of 50 or more.

Of course, an old British made safe may have more value in France but I doubt it.  My recommendation is to scrap it and see if you can sell the name plate on eBay.  I once lived in France and the local authority offered a good service for taking away scrap items.  It is worth seeing if they will collect your safe - it is going to weigh a fair bit though.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer