Antique Safes/Hall Safe

Question
Terry,

My mother recently inherited a safe she believes is a Hall safe from my grandmother. The safe was my grandfather's office safe from back when he owned a Chevrolet dealership in the 20's or 30's.

The good news: the safe door is open. The bad news: we don't know the combination.

Will a regular locksmith ruin the value trying to set a combination? She lives in St. Croix falls, WI and I could bring the safe to a reputable locksmith in the St. Paul / Minneapolis area if you believe that would be best and have a referral.

Thanks!

Answer
John,

First off, I never recommend using a locksmith for safe work.  They generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.  While a safe technician is usually, also a locksmith, rarely are locksmiths also safe technicians.

I'm not sure why you think that recovering or resetting the combination would ruin the value of the container, unless you believe the locksmith would have to damage the safe in order to do the work.   Kind of like having a mechanic damaging your engine to change the oil.   If you have this fear, then THAT person is NOT someone you want working on your safe OR your engine!!!

You should be looking for a safe and vault company in your area.  Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults", for a local company.   if you can't find one, or don't trust them, then you might try:

Dale's Lock & Safe Service
612-455-0403   Dale Scharr
2751 Hennepin Avenue South, #278
Minneapolis, Minnesota  55408

Lundblad Safe Works
651-482-1225     Mark Lundblad
2286 Cowern Pl E
North St Paul, MN  55109

A-Dave's Lock & Safe
612-529-0863     David Paulsrud
2019 Emerson Ave. No.
Minneapolis, MN 55411

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)