Antique Safes/old sears safe

sears safe
sears safe  
I was curious as to the value and function of an old safe I was looking into buying. its an old sears model

Jeff, a "C" fire rating is a 1 hr fire rating typical for home use.  The Meilink Safe Co. used to have an ad where they burned a bungalow to the ground to prove their 1 hr fires safes would hold up.  It looks like yours could have been made by Diebold.  Burglary success is always a function of time, expertise, equipment available and your location.  It will defeat many of the rum dums out there even though safes of this type are not considered to have much burglary protection. So much for function.  As to value it is a bit hard to determine partly based on the limited picture and lack of dimensions, but compare it to the price of a comparable new 1 HR safe.  If you are paying less than 1/2 of the new one it is a fair price.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place