Antique Safes/Remengton Rand safe

Hi I have an old stand up Remington Rand safe. I have owned the safe about 30 years and I know the history for about another 40, so it's quite old. Combo and door work fine. The safe is in my garage and I am afraid the someone might try and steal the whole safe by tipping it into a pickup truck. The safe is on steel wheels which can be easily removed. I am thinking about removing the wheels, then drilling about 4 holes thur the bottom of the safe. Then bolting the safe to the cement floor. My question is what do you think of my plan, and how much trouble will I encounter drilling the holes in the safe bottom. Drilling the holes in the cement floor will not be a problem. Many thanks for your reply. Ron

I would think that you would be better served by buying a new safe which would at least give you some burglary standards, if you are worried about someone breaking in and stealing your stuff, for a couple reasons.

#1 - This safe was built as a "FIRE-Resistive safe" ONLY!   While it may meet the MINIMUM standards, in that your valuables are inside of a locked container - this is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

#2 - These safes were known to have used asbestos as an insulation material.  As long as the insulation is sealed inside it does not pose any health hazards.   Drilling holes through the container will allow the insulation to come out.  If it becomes airborne it can become an inhalazation hazard.

These safes were made between 1926-1955, and were designed as "OFFICE Equipment" to provide fire protection for documents - ONLY!   Safes which are over 50 years old, DO NOT meet current standards for fire resistance and/or burglary resistance.  If as you indicate, your safe is around 70 years old, this would place its date of manufacture in the early 1930's.  These containers are not antique, and are not considered collectible.

If you are going to do anything with the container other than keep it, I would recommend that you also check with your state and local HAZMAT regulations as they have extremely stiff penalties for selling, transporting, or disposing of HAZMAT items without following their regulations.   I would recommend that you check the regs to see where you stand.   I would also recommend that you have the insulation tested to confirm whether or not your container actually has asbestos or not.   if you don't have a local testing agency you can obtain a home test kit at most Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hdw, CVS Pharmacies or by going to:

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope this at least gives you a direction to proceed in.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada