Antique Safes/York Safe and Lock

Question
I have a "File-Storage Room" door from YSandL, York, PA with
the information of "Group 1" "98552" and #13Z2847" stamped on
an interior side base plate.  I got the door from the now defunct
Bank of Los Gatos, which may have gotten the door from the first
Bank of Italy / Bank of Los Gatos of the 1930s.  The local
History museum has no photos or records.  

Is there any way of tracking down the original delivery date and
destination from the above info?

Answer
Don,

As York as been out of business since 1959, your chances of tracking down records for this door are probably slim and none!

I can tell by the information you have provided off of the Safe Manufacturers National Association label, that this door would have been made sometime between the mid 1920's until the company went out of business in 1959.   They were actually acquired by Diebold in 1946 from the US Navy, who had taken control of the company after the death of the companies owner in 1942.   Diebold continued the label until 1959.

As far as an actual date of manufacture, the best I can do is to examine the door to give you a best estimate, based on construction, style, locks, labels etc.   In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your door, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your door.  If your door has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your door.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your door.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.  Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)