Antique Safes/Barnes Safe

In 1976 I installed an old Barnes Safe in my basement wall(new home) primarily for fire protection.  There was no combination dial or mechanical parts inside the safe door.  I would like to find a mechanical combination for it for security.  I have pictures of the safe and would attach them to an e mail if I had your address.  The only thing on the front door in the brass "T" handle.  The "T" handle and the three sliding rods work fine.  The thickness of the front plate is 5/8" thick.   Please advise.  Thank You.

I would be happy to look at your safe for you, however I must advise you that your safe meets no current standards at all, for fire resistance.   Safes which are over 50 years old (which would include yours) generally have cracked and/or broken insulation.   Storing any type of document which is important is NOT adviseable.   These safes also meet no current standards for burglary resistance, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

Barnes Safes generally used, either a Sargent & Greenleaf C62 (4 wheel) or C66 (3 wheel) rotary bolt lock, though the later 6810 series lock, or the current 6500 series vault lock should also work.   Any of these locks will probably run you between $500 to $750.   While there are less expensive locks that you can probably make work, they will require extensive retrofitting of the bolt work - so while you may save 50% on the cost of the lock, you will probably spend it retrofitting the safe.

Feel free to send pictures of your safe to me at:

Make sure I get full front and inside photos, and detail photos of the handle, where the dial goes, bolt work and where the lock goes.   If you can't see some detail in the photos, then neither will I.   photos should be at least 1mb of resolution so that I can zoom in to look at details.   If you have something in particular that you have a question about, make sure that you get me a good photo of that item.

I will have to see what locks I have available that will work for you.

While I wouldn't hesitate to restore this safe to a working condition, I also would NOT store any cash, jewelry or valuable documents in it.   Get a current model safe that IS designed to protect against fire and burglary.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada