Antique Safes/Cary Safe from Buffalo N.Y.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for taking the time to entertain my question.
I have an old Cary safe thats never been opened. I bought this building about twenty years ago and its been there since. I spoke with the previous owners of the building and they tried to open it for me with no success. They did give me a  three digit combination which I have tried all different ways with no luck. I'm not sure of the turning sequence of the lock.
The serial number on the handle is 122262. Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Based on the serial number of your safe, 122262, I would expect the safe to have a Yale Y6 lock.   These locks came in both 3 and 4 wheel versions.  While you may have 3 numbers in your combination, if you have the four wheel version, two of the wheels MAY be set on the same number.

So you can try the following dialing sequence:

5 times left to the first number, ___ (first & second wheel)
3 times right to the second number, ___ (third wheel)
2 times left to the third number, ___ (fourth wheel)
1 time right until the dial stops (lock should be open, turn handle).

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50 - you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FIFTH time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

If it still won't open, then try the above sequence, but dial RLRL vs LRLR.   If you still have no luck, then you possibly do not have the correct numbers, and WILL need to have a trained safe technician check it out and/or open it for you.

hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada