Antique Safes/combination for safe

I have on older safe, Tower Sears and Roebock Co. The dial on it is Yale. The only number I can find on it is on the hinge and is 1E566. I have lost the combination and am wonderring if there is a way to reset it or open it without damage. not sure if the safe is worth paying a locksmith to work on it

Tower safes were made by several different companies FOR Sears.   The Tower name was simply a logo.   Most of these companies are out of business now, and Sears has no records of any combinations.

If your safe is locked up, and you don't have the combination, you basically have two options - you can simply try all of the possibly 1,000,000 combinations or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it and recover or reset the combination.

As far as resetting the combination from the outside, they aren't made that way.  If it was that easy, they wouldn't be very safe.

Concerning your last comment about the safe not being worth paying someone to work on it - you are probably right.    The problem is that you have an "inexpensive safe" made 30 to 40 years ago (1970-1985's), but current labor to open the safe is going to be in the $250-$350 range.   Sorry but labor isn't cheap anymore.

Unless you have valuables that you need out, you may have to spend some $$$$'s to have it opened.

An option to explore would be:   If I have customers in similar situations as yours, AND if they come into the shop to purchase a new, better quality safe, I will many times open their old safe for free, and then dispose of it.   You might discuss this option with your local safe company to see if they are interested, though don't plan on buying a cheap $100 safe and having them do several hundred dollars worth of labor for free.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada