Antique Safes/Diebold Lock and Safe Vault

Question
Diebold Vault Door
Diebold Vault Door  

Diebold Vault Door2
Diebold Vault Door2  
Hello, I currently have an older diebold vault.  On the vault door a piece of glass that covered the entire inside of the vault door broke.  My question is, how necessary is this piece of glass? how is the value affected if it is not replaced?...and how?...or should I just remove all the broken pieces and clean it up. The vault door is circular and is about 80in.  I do not currently have any other info on the vault door but I can get it if necessary.

Answer
Collin,

The glass serves several purposes including:
1.  encapsulating the bolt work to keep the bolt work free of debris and dust.
2.  safety enclosure to keep hands, fingers, etc. out of the bolt work,
3.  as a visual deterrent to thieves, showing how secure the door is,
4.  to keep people from placing items in the area of the bolt work (whether accidental or on purpose), which may affect is operation.

While this "shield" is necessary, it doesn't necessarily have to be glass.   It could be sheet metal, or plastic (plexiglas), though these items will take away from the doors appearance.

I'm not sure about your question concerning value????

If you are selling the building and the door is installed, then the new owner gets the door whether they want it or not!    If you are planning on removing the door for sale, then you have bigger issues to worry about than the glass.   If the door is already removed and available for sale, then yes, having the glass broken will affect its value.   As this glass was specially cut for the door, having a new piece cut and fitted could easily be several thousand dollars.  We recently had a couple smaller glass panels for square door vaults replaced, and these cost $1300 for two of them (installed).

For safety reasons I would clean up all of the broken glass, especially if the door is being used.

While the door will operate with the glass removed, it does present several safety issues which you will have to decide about.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)