Antique Safes/Diebold vault door

vault door
vault door  
I am in the process of building a shop and plan on including a vault.  Attached is a picture of a Diebold vault door that a friend is willing to give me.  My question is do you recognize what model this is and more importantly, are parts available if needed?  He does not know the model number or the combination.  In your opinion, is it worth the trouble or should I look for a newer door?

The door appears to be a Diebold fire resistive vault door.   As to the exact model and/or whether parts are available or not, I will need a serial number.

As far as the combination goes, this can be determined by a safe technician.   I would recommend that you have the door checked out thouroughly before making a decision for a couple reason.
1.  These doors are made of thin sheet metal and fire resistive insulation.   As it appears that this door has been "stored" out doors, it may have severe rust damage, and the insulation may also be ruined and/or swollen.
2.  Again, rust and/or corrosion may have severely damaged the lock and bolt work.

I would strongly recommend having it checked out before spending any money (obviously the safe company will have a mobile service and inspection fee).   Cost to repair or get the door operational could exceed its value.   It may be cheaper to buy a new door, or a used one that is in good condition.

As far as "is it worth the trouble", I can't answer that question for you.  You have to decide whether it is worth YOUR trouble.   I've got enough old safes that I'm working on, so I'm the LAST one to ask "do I think its worth it"!

Have it checked out, then decide.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada