Antique Safes/Halls safe

Halls safe
Halls safe  

Halls safe open.
Halls safe open.  
iv recently acquired this Halls safe and wondering if you can tell me some information/ history about the company and the safe its self.
Approximate Date?
'i was told 1918, though reading other articles on here makes me think earlier than that. it may have had the name painted on it then.
Construction of the walls of the safe?

The Dial says. Halls Safe&Lock CO. Cincinnati O. The handle number is 122464
The back of the safe says halls standard safe with a picture of a factory with smoke stacks.

The safe is fully functional and in ok condition. Its a beautiful safe, and cleans up really nice for show. Great art work on out side and inside. Not planning to resell or anything, plan to keep it as it is and enjoy it.
Weight is ,,heavy 1500 to 2000 pounds i was told?

who told you 1918????  who ever came up with this should be removed from your list of people to call, if you ever get on a game show!

The Hall's Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1867-1892.   While Joseph Hall actually began making safes in the mid 1840's, the company didn't begin using this name until 1867.   Shortly after Joseph Hall's death in 1889, his son's merged this company with two other companies to form the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company in 1892.   The three original factories were maintained until a new factory was built and all manufacturing was moved to Hamilton, OH in 1897.   During the reorganization in 1896, there was a "falling out" in the company.  As Hall's sons had completed terms of their contract they left HHM to begin a new company, which was named Hall's Safe Company.
HHM immediately sued Hall's to stop using this name.   Due to various financial difficulties HHM wasn't able to finish the lawsuit and had to wait several years before bringing a second lawsuit to bear on the Hall's.   These lawsuits wound their way all the way to the supreme court where it was determined that the Hall's had NOT given up the right to use their name during the 1892 merger, and they were allowed to continue.

Ok, there is the basic history of the company.  It appears that YOUR safe would have been built by the original Hall's Safe & Lock Company.   Based on the serial number 122464, that you have provided, your safe would have been built during the last several years of the company, prior to the merger.

If you would like me to look at your safe to evaluate it, I would be more than happy to.   In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.  Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada