Antique Safes/Inherited old safe

Question
I inherited an old safe that was thankfully left open so i could take photos for identifying manufacturer. As i was trying to figuring combo out i was called away for other bussiness. When i returned to my safe project,my always helpfull 9yr old son said to me "Dad i figured out how to lock the safe ! ". Oh boy. Thanks son. My question is,with the photos i have of safe when open can u tell me the maker and how can i get the combination ?  I have photos of safe,dial with numbers on handle, inside of combo wheel pack, and locking mechinisms. I am just having problem uploading photos on this site. Can i upload directly through email ?

Answer
John,

Possibly yes, and probably no.   We can possibly ID the maker of the safe, however the majority of these companies have been out of business from 60-100 years.  Which means contacting the maker for a combination is not an option.   This leaves you with a couple options - you can try all the possible combinations for your safe, and/or contact a local safe company to have their safe tech open the safe and recover the combination.   As you have indicated you have photos of the wheel pack, I'll need to see what you have, to see if I have any solutions to help you out.

Manufacturers NEVER published records of serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.   If they are no longer in business, then this option isn't available.

I also don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools and while they are more than happy to work on your safe, they may destroy it during their attempts.

This site isn't "photo" friendly (not my site - I'm just a volunteer here), so you will need to send the photos directly to me.  

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.  Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)