Antique Safes/lock on old Victor safe

I have an old Victor safe that belonged to my Grandfather with his first initial and last name on the safe door.  The locking mechanism does not work.  Is it possible to make the lock work again?

Anything is possible, however with out seeing what the problem is I can't answer what would need to be done to it.

There were basically two Victor safe companies.   The first Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until around 1827, when it was acquired by Remington-Rand and moved from Cincinnati, OH to Marietta, OH.  The name and product line were changed to the Victor Safe & Equipment Company.

If your safe is from the original company, parts are going to be very difficult to find and may need to be fabricated.  Safes from the second company were slightly more modern.   Some of the locks will accept a more modern version, while again, some of them were specifically designed for this company and may be hard to find.   Fabricating these parts may be cost prohibitive if replacements can't be found.   

There is no aftermarket safe and/or lock company, which means that many replacement parts are from donor safes that have gone to the scrap yard, with parts being salvaged.   There is also no "parts" hot line to track down parts.    Once we ID what you need to look for you will simply have to start calling safe companies to see if anyone has the item.

NOTE:  In general, most companies aren't interested in rebuilding old safes, and the parts are kept for their use.  Unless you are a really motivated buyer, they won't be interested in even looking through their used parts pile.   Also some locks MAY BE rather expensive, as they are getting very hard to find.

In order to determine WHAT parts you need, I will need to see photos of the outside of the safe door, and the inside of the door, bolt work and lock.   These photos need to be very clear and of high enough resolution that I can zoom in, to look at details.   If I can't see the item clearly, even zoomed in, then the photos don't do me any good.

Send the photos to me at:

My email has around a 10mb limit on attachments, so you may have to send several emails with 2-3 photos per email.   I would like at least 1mb of resolution per photo.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada