Antique Safes/Mosler Model 13

Mosler Model 13
Mosler Model 13  
Hello Doug,

I recently came across a Mosler Model 13 safe. It has 2 compartments, a round door on the bottom and a rectangle door on top. The top door has an electronic key pad, and the bottom has a dial. I have both combinations and it works perfectly. What is the current value of this safe? I would like to sell it.

The number I gathered from it:
20553-12 serial number
Model number 13
Bp-280 a50331
Spec b1
S.M.N.A. Group 4 y46878
57 1/2 tall
30 1/2 deep
23 1/4 wide

John, it's big, it's heavy and most people aren't looking for a safe like yours.  That's the downside.  On the other it looks to be in good condition and is a very good safe.  That was Moslers last model round door and Mosler round doors had a good reputation for being tough nuts to crack.  To someone needing a safe like that, it is easily worth a $1000 if not $2000.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place