Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

Question
Terry,

I've been reading your articles with great interest...and I have a real problem.

I have a Mosler CD 302 safe that was set at the factory combination of 50-25-50.  I was changing the combination...the wheels were disassembled outside the safe.

The door was closed and the locking bolts engaged.  It won't open...seems to click at 95...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Bruce Sayre  

Answer
Bruce,

I guess "OOPS!" doesn't help!  And its too late to say "NEVER, EVER, EVER, close the door, until AFTER you have verified the lock and bolt work operate correctly.

Unfortunately, problems like this tend to be "hands on" diagnostic, testing and solutions.   There are a number of problems that are obvious and several that are not obvious.

First would be the lock was not reassembled correctly.   ANY part out of order or sequence WILL cause the lock to not work.

The cam may be out of sequence, which could put your combination 90 or 180 degrees out of time.

Relockers may be active.   The lever assembly may be jammed and unresponsive.   The drive wheel may not be picking up the wheels, etc. etc. etc.

Based on your description, I'm ALSO going to assume that you closed the safe door WITH the wheel pack removed.   if this is correct, then you have at least 1 relock trigger probably active, and possibly a second and/or third relock device (depends on the door and bolt work).

If the relocks are active, chances are the safe will have to be drilled.

My recommendation would be for you to contact a local safe tech to have them check out your safe, and/or open it.   Depending on the rating of the safe, this could get really ugly (expensive).

Sorry, I wish there was a better answer.    NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)