Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

I've been reading your articles with great interest...and I have a real problem.

I have a Mosler CD 302 safe that was set at the factory combination of 50-25-50.  I was changing the combination...the wheels were disassembled outside the safe.

The door was closed and the locking bolts engaged.  It won't open...seems to click at 95...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Sayre  

I guess "OOPS!" doesn't help!  And its too late to say "NEVER, EVER, EVER, close the door, until AFTER you have verified the lock and bolt work operate correctly.

Unfortunately, problems like this tend to be "hands on" diagnostic, testing and solutions.   There are a number of problems that are obvious and several that are not obvious.

First would be the lock was not reassembled correctly.   ANY part out of order or sequence WILL cause the lock to not work.

The cam may be out of sequence, which could put your combination 90 or 180 degrees out of time.

Relockers may be active.   The lever assembly may be jammed and unresponsive.   The drive wheel may not be picking up the wheels, etc. etc. etc.

Based on your description, I'm ALSO going to assume that you closed the safe door WITH the wheel pack removed.   if this is correct, then you have at least 1 relock trigger probably active, and possibly a second and/or third relock device (depends on the door and bolt work).

If the relocks are active, chances are the safe will have to be drilled.

My recommendation would be for you to contact a local safe tech to have them check out your safe, and/or open it.   Depending on the rating of the safe, this could get really ugly (expensive).

Sorry, I wish there was a better answer.    NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada